What is Influenza?
Influenza (also called “flu” or “seasonal influenza”) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza A, B and C viruses. Influenza A and B viruses cause seasonal epidemics of the disease almost every winter in the Northern hemisphere. Influenza C infections cause mild respiratory illness and are not thought to cause epidemics.
Common signs and symptoms of influenza include:
- High fever
- Sore throat
- Body aches
- Stuffy/runny nose
- Diarrhea and vomiting can occur
*Influenza can lead to secondary illnesses, such as ear and sinus infections and possibly pneumonia.
The flu can be transmitted before the infected person is even aware that they are sick and can also be transmitted during sickness. Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning one day before symptoms develop and up to five to seven days after becoming sick. Some people, especially young children and people with weakened immune systems, might be able to infect others for an even longer time.
Influenza viruses can live on surfaces for several days. A single sneeze can release 40,000 droplets, which can travel through the air and be inhaled or swallowed by others. Droplets can also settle on surfaces, where people can pick the virus up on their hands then touching their mouth, nose or eyes, causing them to become infected.
Diversey understands the threat that outbreaks present to your customers, guests, staff, patients and visitors. Our commitment to a cleaner, healthier future is reflected in the support that we provide to help you minimize this risk, and maintain a safe facility.
For your community, Diversey is taking the following actions to help minimize the spread of Influenza.
- Training for employees on best practices for cleaning and disinfection
- Recommended actions on how to respond to an outbreak
- Emphasizing the importance of hand hygiene to prevent spread of influenza
- Providing a list of products that Diversey offers effective against influenza
- Our Infection Prevention experts are available to consult with customers
- List of registered products effective against influenza viruses